Friday, May 3, 2013

Pizza Crust to die for

My husband LOVES pizza, it is his by far favorite food so I have tried many recipes and some have failed, some have been good and some have been excellent but this one he rates a 9 and for him that is a WOW!!!! I did something right.  I got a request this morning for a pizza dough recipe so thought I would post it here.  We are on a bit of a health kick right now, or should I say he is so I am not making any pizza for the moment but the next time I do I will post some pictures.  Oh oh I am getting hungry.

Recipe

1 cup beer
2 Tbls butter/oil
2 Tbls sugar
1 Tsp salt
2 - 2 1/2 cups of Flour
2.5 Tsp of active dry yeast


Directions

  1. Ideally your beer should be flat.  To do this you mix it or pour it from one cup to another until most of the froth is gone, it you run out of time this step can be skipped. 
  2. Warm the beer so it feels just warm to your touch. Luke warm is also ok, just not straight from the fridge
  3. Put all the ingredients in the bread maker or your mixer in the order they are written.  For the bread maker select your dough setting and let run.
  4. If you are using a mixer also put in all the ingredients and start to mix
  5. For both appliances I prefer to let it only mix till it forms a smooth looking ball, if the ball is too dry (not tacky) to touch add a bit more water till you get that texture and if it is too wet add a bit more flour till it starts to form that ball.  
  6. Remove the dough and let it rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour in a slightly greased, covered bowl.  I place the bowl in my oven, cover it with saran wrap or a cloth/towel etc and turn the light on.
  7. Remove your dough and roll out into any size thickness and size of crust you are looking for.  I do this on a lightly floured surface but last time I tried this with cornmeal and the result was excellent.  So either will work
  8. Transfer the dough to your pan (pizza pan, or even a cookie sheet with suffice)
  9. Preheat your oven to 400 F
  10. Spread your toppings and cheese and then bake for 15-25 min.  The range in time is due mostly to the thickness of your crust and whether you would rather it crispy or soft.  Our timing is usually about 17 min.  Sometimes to get the cheese to crisp up and brown even darker I will put it under the broiler for a few minutes. 

Modifications

  • Whole wheat crust - replace one cup of white flour with W.W flour
  • IMO the beer is the most important part, however you can replace the beer with any liquid of that amount.  I have tried substituting with broth etc and it just is not the same.
  • This dough can be made up ahead and put in fridge till you are ready to use it.

1 comment:

  1. I will be trying this next week (once the weather cools down a bit) - I have tried 2 dough recipes which were ok that night - but didn't make me want to make them again!

    ReplyDelete