Thursday, May 2, 2013

100% Whole Wheat Bread

After reading many sites and reviews on 100% whole wheat bread, it appears that it is not as easy as you would think to create a tasty, soft loaf that is not too dry or flaky.  This is my first try at it and so far it looks and smells great, the real test is after it comes out of the oven, will it be nice and moist or dry and flaky?  I am posting this bread first as this is the one I was making today so thought I would catch up on the other's I have talked about a little later on.

I did not take pictures of the mixing or the rising but this is how it looks 3/4's of the way done it's rise in the pans

 




Recipe (2 Loaves)


2 3/4 cups hot water
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbls molasses
1 Tbls salt
6 cups of W.W flour
3 Tbls of wheat gluten powder (this can be omitted)
2 Tbls of dry active yeast

Directions

  1. Put all the ingredients in the order they are written in your bread machine and select the dough cycle.  I recommend not completing this cycle but rather as soon as it makes a ball that is not stuck to the sides, unplugging your machine and removing it and then follow from number 3 on.  The ball of dough should be very tacky and sticking to your fingers.
  2. Put all ingredients except for the last 2 cups of flour into your mixer or your bowl.  Stir/Mix and slowly add the remaining 2 cups of flour till the dough forms a ball and no longer sticks to the side of the bowl.  This dough should be tacky to touch.
  3. Transfer to a lightly greased bowl and cover.  Put in your oven with the light on.  Do NOT turn on your oven.  Let rise till almost doubled, approx 50 min.
  4. Lightly flour your surface you will be working on, dump the dough out onto it and quickly and gently knead till the dough is back to its original size.  Shape into a ball and divide into two.
  5. Shape by turning the dough into itself over and over (you tube shows a great demo if needed) and then place in a greased loaf pan.
  6. Let rise till doubled in size, approx 45 minutes to an hour.
  7. Preheat your oven to 350F, I do not use my convection to cook bread
  8. Once preheated place your bread in the oven for approx 30-35 min.  Bread is usually cooked when it is brown in colour and sounds hollow when you knock on it

Not too hard right?  I have tried to write the directions like I was in the kitchen doing it so it should be easier...maybe?

Well as I write this my house is smelling amazing, the windows are open to enjoy this lovely spring weather and the inside smells like fresh bread, can it get any better?  Oh yes it can fresh warm bread from the oven slathered in homemade fresh butter. (recipe to come later)  UPDATE:  This bread recipe is a keeper, light fluffy WW bread, I would never imagined.  I shared a slice slathered in butter with a friend today and she agrees, it is good.  Enjoy baking up a couple of loaves.





*This recipe was originally found online but I have altered it and probably will continue to do so till I find the best taste and texture for it



No comments:

Post a Comment